Friday, July 14, 2006

Zidane !

What happened to Zidane saddens me. I did not watch the world cup in it's entirety and am definitely not a football fan. But I happened to catch the overtime in the final match of this dull edition of the world cup (before falling back to sleep btw) and what happened was certainly something which is now common in the world of sports.

Yes, he head-butted that "poor" guy and yes it was an unwelcone act from this great hero of this supposedly great game (I am sorry I cannot acknowledge it's greatness simply because the whole world thinks that way. And that's only because I have never followed it. It might be of course.) but give the guy a break for God's sake. You will see what I mean when you read this. I sincerely believe that a method has to be established to trap and punish players who resort to verbal abuse to get their way. Verbal abuse inflicts as much damage as physical abuse, perhaps only more. Verbal abuse distracts players, poisons their mind and renders them unable to perform to their fullest ability. Isn't that what physical abuse does too and hence is considered red-card worthy?. Then why punish only those who resort to physical abuse?.

I applaud France and its Prime Minister for welcoming their hero home with the glory and affection he deserves. You cannot discredit a man of his stature for something which was not his fault.

As for Italy winning, I have my doubts about their worthiness after watching this :)

I am in a violent mood today. Dare you not abuse me verbally !

No comments: